WhatsApp in the fight against a pandemic: COVID-19, help from the messenger
Since last December, the world has been struggling with a terrible disease. COVID-19, also known as coronavirus, absorbs thousands of people daily.
To fight the disease, to help those in need, the authorities and ordinary people create mobile groups, auxiliary funds, express chats. One of the network intermediaries is the WhatsApp messenger.
Always in touch
Authorities introduce quarantine measures to avoid the spread of the disease.
Tough measures have already been introduced in the states of Europe, the Baltic states, Asia, and also in the USA.
In order to entertain users and allow them to always stay in touch, instant messengers expand their functionality. Whatsapp is no exception.
The application previously allowed you to chat for free. The functionality of the utility is huge:
- text messaging
- Correspondence in groups, communities;
- sending photos, videos, audio, documents;
- reproduction of voice, visual calls.
Now to this is added the possibility of help, information education.
Other corporations are developing similar actions. So, Telegram, Viber create thematic channels of information. Free support is offered on their platforms. TikTok leads bloggers to collect money for treatment and the purchase of medicines. The developers of heating boilers advise increasing the temperature in the house to + 27ͦ, at which the virus molecule dies. Equipment can be delivered by trucks, semi-trailers. Cargo transportation is carried out with all traffic regulations.
“Hard times require special actions. Now it is important to inform the population, create mobile help groups. To do this, free state portals, volunteer communities, medical chats are launched on the basis of the application ”.
To find a specific correspondence:
- Open whatsapp.
- In the search bar, type the name of the structure or keyword. E.g. Ministry of Health Coronavirus COVID-19.
- Tap the first option.
- Activate the Join command.
Official channels create:
- Medical workers. Ministers, doctors.
- Representatives of the education sector. Online lessons for students.
- Nonprofit Organizations.
- Representatives of medium and small businesses. Network distribution of goods.
- Local government.
- Companies whose employees work remotely.
WhatsApp also has motivational groups. Positive stories set the mood for people, distract from gray everyday life, treat depression.
The leadership of the messenger asks people to be attentive to health, life. Especially if among relatives, relatives there are people at risk – pensioners, patients with chronic diseases.
For physical protection:
- Use antiseptics, masks.
- Avoid crowds.
- If possible, refuse to use public transport.
- Do not leave the country.
- For the smallest change in well-being, contact your family doctor.
- Avoid contact with people who have returned from abroad.
- If you come to Russia from countries where the virus is active, self-isolate for two weeks.
However, moral, informational protection is also important:
- Even from home, do not stop communicating with relatives and friends. An hour of conversation improves mood, helps to avoid depression. Laughter prolongs life at all.
- Check sources of information. With the advent of the threat, the Internet is used as a means of warning. Do not trust suspicious sites. Read official information, reports of press services, all-Russian portals with a proven reputation.
- Do not spread fakes. False information leads to panic, which only worsens the situation. If you are not sure about the source, refuse reposts. Do not subscribe to dubious channels.
WhatsApp monitors viral groups and communities during a pandemic. When users receive complaints, programmers will block fake correspondence.
Everyone can become a member of the group. The exception is corporate chats. It is also allowed to independently organize communication, a support group, assistance. All that is required is a smartphone, tablet, computer, Internet access, downloaded WhatsApp.