How to use Whatsapp in China
Since 2009, China has been making efforts to block all major global social media platforms. It started with Facebook, Twitter, and Google, but since then many other websites and apps have been created, including Whatsapp. To get access to Vatsap in China you need to use a VPN or proxy.
Why whatsapp does not work in China
Whatsapp in China is seen as a competitor to local Wechat provider. But the main reason for banning the application lies in state policy – it strengthens its control over the Internet, people and information. When you open the program on your phone from China with a network connection or wi-fi, it will not work. If using WhatsApp is important for you to stay in touch with friends and family, then there is a way out..
How to use WhatsApp in China
In China, you must always be prepared for difficulties with the Internet, so from the beginning, do the following:
- Check internet access in China.
- Via Wi-Fi: in the largest cities you will not encounter the problem of accessing the Internet. However, when located in remote places, use becomes harder and harder. Do not rely entirely on “watsap”, because you will need to have either a Chinese SIM card or roaming from your home operator to receive text messages to gain access to free wi-fi.
- Through roaming: if you travel for a short period of time, you can make an access point using your home network operator, but this is an expensive way.
- Via a local SIM card: it is easy for a foreigner to get and turn on a Chinese SIM card to access the Internet through any smartphone. To register a room, you need a passport. Monthly maintenance is cheap. At some airports (Beijing, Shanghai) you will find kiosks where you can purchase a SIM card. Otherwise, you have to go to the China Unicom store or China Mobile.
- Set up a VPN because WhatsApp is blocked in China.
- Sign in to WhatsApp.
VPN for access
China has a large number of blocked websites, so if you need constant Internet and access to social networks, connecting to them will be problematic. The most striking example is the case of Google. When you enter from the Middle Kingdom, an error message is immediately displayed.
Turbo VPN – one of the good VPN programs for Android devices.
To solve this problem, you can install a VPN that masks your IP address. It will allow you to bypass the ban and access any website. There are dozens of VPN services available, only some of them work well in China.
You must set up your VPN immediately before arriving in China. Download two services for your phone as a backup in case the first one stops working. China sometimes blocks IP addresses that cause connectivity issues.
How to choose vpn for whatsapp
Criteria for choosing the best application for China:
- The ability to bypass the Great Firewall of China.
- High speed. Some services slow down your connection in China, so be sure to check the speed.
- Use through other countries. Connect to a server in a state such as Japan or Hong Kong (which does not have the same Internet laws).
- Advanced encryption. You should be aware that personal information remains confidential. Mediocre, outdated encryption technology is not good enough to keep you safe in China.
- Ease of use. It is necessary to choose the option that will be clear even to a beginner and does not require any technical training..
It has a 30 day money back guarantee with no questions asked policy. ExpressVPN can unlock Netflix, HBO, Amazon Prime Video. It works on devices with the operating system Windows, macOS, Android, iOS app.
Express vpn does not cut speed, but on the other hand, its cost is much higher
- First place in weekly speed tests.
- 24/7 chat support.
- Great increased security.
- Multi-language customer support.
- More expensive than competitors.
- Only 5 simultaneous connections.
NordVPN has an easy-to-use mobile application, a 30-day money back guarantee, as well as servers in neighboring countries. It can unlock almost all prohibited sites (Gmail, YouTube, Facebook, Google, WhatsApp, VKontakte). Works on devices with Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux.
This VPN boasts the highest degree of security, but it is incorrect
runs on ios platform.
- Highest safety standards.
- 24/7 customer support chat.
- The site is available in simplified Chinese..
- High speed connection
Minus: iOS application does not gain access to remote servers.
Free VPN for vosapp:
Hotspot Shield VPN is one of the few free versions that work well in China. The creators of this application care about your privacy, so the information will not be disclosed to third parties.
Hotspot Shield VPN is one of the few free programs to handle the encryption task..
The free version has some limitations compared to the paid one. The speed may not be so high, the volume is 500 MB of data per day, so you will not be able to access the most popular streaming sites. But Hotspot Shield is still a good choice if you’re looking for a free, convenient option that lets you check Facebook while in China..
Access through proxy server
The proxy server is similar to a VPN, works by redirecting the User’s Internet data from the device to a remote server, and then connects to the Internet. The difference is that most proxies do not encrypt user data. Therefore, proxies can be more easily detected by the Chinese government and blocked.
If using a proxy server, try the Lantern app. Downloading does not require a fee, but use is risky, since such programs are often blocked, which causes interruptions in the connection. Like most free proxies, it has a data usage limit of 500 mb per month.
How to guarantee access to whatsapp in China
Knowing the list of rules below will help you use all the applications in the Middle Kingdom with minimal risk:
- Have the latest version of a program or application. The Great Firewall of China is constantly being modified to limit the use of VPNs in the country.
- Install everything you need before sending to China, otherwise there will be problems such as blocking Google Play, inability to download applications through the Apple AppStore.
- In China, OpenVPN UDP (or Chameleon) is the best encryption method to circumvent restrictions. Make sure that the service you buy has this access..
- Check the nearest servers: VPN speed often depends on the distance between your connection and the server. Servers in countries surrounding China, such as Korea, Japan, and Hong Kong are fast. However, sometimes servers in the United States are faster because fewer users are connected to them..
- Have a backup version. The pressure on the VPN has intensified in recent years, and all applications have experienced service outages. Having a second option may be useful if necessary..
Will whatsapp be allowed in China in 2020
China is not going to backtrack on Internet surveillance. On the contrary, the country continues to further limit the rights of everyone to privacy and freedom on the Internet. China’s Great Firewall blocks messaging apps, including WhatsApp, social networking platforms (Facebook, YouTube, Dropbox) and thousands of sites.
For this reason, the use of a VPN in China is important for maintaining privacy and freedom on the Internet. You can not only access a website or service in China, but also ensure that your personal information is protected from cyber threats.