How much traffic does whatsapp consume
WhatsApp is an instant text messaging system for mobile and other platforms with support for voice, video, and media distribution. Since 2016, the application officially became free, the user pays only for the Internet stream used by the application. Knowing how much traffic goes to WhatsApp, you can find a way to save. This is especially beneficial with a separate payment megabytes.
How much traffic does WhatsApp spend
There are such web stream consumption points:
- In the background, the cost in 24 hours is 1024 bytes.
- Text forwarding. To send 500 characters requires 800 bytes, or 1.6 bytes per character.
- Incoming, outgoing files (in the form of photos, videos). Costs depend on how much the documents “weigh”. When sending media files, compression is automatically performed to reduce the size. In this case, the quality of the document is deteriorating.
- Voice messages lasting 60 seconds “eat” 140 kilobytes.
- Chat backup. Depends on the quantity of materials.
- Auto update utility.
How much does it take to make calls
For 1 minute of conversation on an audio call, it consumes from 350 kilobytes.
In 60 seconds of a video call, the user spends 6.7 megabytes of data. Per hour – 400 MB.
Traffic consumption calculation
Operating systems have built-in tools for measuring web stream consumption. Depending on the modification of the device, the tools are located in different places. For example: “Settings” – “Internet traffic”; “Settings” – “Data Usage”; “Settings” – “Traffic Monitor”.
Using the function, you can find applications installed on the phone, including WhatsApp, check web traffic consumption for the selected period (day, week, month).
It is also allowed to use the option in order to limit the use of megabytes of mobile network information in the background for a single application. Then the messages will not come with the utility closed.
For precise details, use the special mobile applications. Developments allow you to monitor the flow rate of wireless networks, mobile data of the home region, in roaming, configure alerts about cost overruns.
WhatsApp contains statistics where you can see the amount of total sent and received megabytes (“Menu” – “Settings” – “Data and storage” – “Network usage”) and the costs of a separate interlocutor (“Menu” – “Settings” – “Data and storage “-” Storage “).
How to save traffic
There are 7 ways to use less internet data:
- Limit the transfer of photos, audio and video files, documents.
- Use text messages instead of voice calls.
- Use the saving mode when talking through the messenger (“Menu” – “Settings” – “Data and storage” – “Call settings” – activate “Data saving”).
- Start autoload of media files to receive sent images when the phone is in Wi-Fi coverage area (“Menu” – “Settings” – “Data and storage” – “Media autoload.” Then you can choose options for downloading photos, audio, video, documents for mobile networks, Wi-Fi, roaming).
- There are mobile tariffs, where the use of social networks is free.
- Set up a backup of chats (“Menu” – “Settings” – “Chats” – “Backup chats” – “Backup to Google Drive.” Options: never, only when you click “Backup”, daily, weekly, monthly – “ Use ”(options: Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi or mobile Internet).
- Enable the ban on auto-update applications on your smartphone.
Voice messages are downloaded automatically, so Media Startup for different networks cannot be configured for them.
On average, an active user uses more than 5 MB of traffic daily. The indicator is without sent / received media files. Proper data configuration will allow you to manage costs, especially if you have to pay separately for megabytes.